Thursday, December 3, 2009

This Is No Blue Box!

Not sure how the weather is where you are today but the sun is beaming and it's in the 60s already here in VA! I will absolutely take it for December! I might even run outside today and take full advantage of the spring-like goodness.

I thought I'd share my mama's yummy ever-so delicious, homemade recipe for Baked Mac and Cheese. You can't go wrong with this recipe. I'm a less than novice cook and even I can whip this up sans a disaster.

Mama Willis' Baked Mac & Cheese
2 Tblsp Margarine
2 1/2 Cups Milk
1/4 Cup Flour
1 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Pepper
8 Cups of grated Velveeta Cheese
1 Slice American Cheese
8 Ounces cooked & drained Elbow Macaroni
1/4 cup Ritz Cracker bread crumbs (optional) SO not needed!

1. Cook 8 ounces of elbow macaroni according to the instructions on the box and drain.
2. In a 1-quart sauce pan melt the margarine over low heat.
3. Stir in flour, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth.
4. Remove from heat and gradually stir in milk until smooth, stirring the entire time.
5. Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until thickened.
6. Stir in grated cheese, a little at a time, until melted. (This requires patience, but you'll get an arm workout!)
7. Pour macaroni into casserole dish.
8. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni.
9. Mix well.
10. Top with bread crumbs (if desired).
11. Bake at 375 degrees for 25-40 minutes or until topping is light brown.
12. Put a big heaping spoonful in a bowl and enjoy this hunk of cheesy goodness!!

From my kitchen to yours,
cBv

1 comment: