Thursday, December 31, 2009
- Celebrated our 3rd year of wedding bliss
- Witnessed several good friends tie the knot
- My sis got engaged (wedding in September 2010!)
- Chaired the St. Jude Give Thanks walk on November 21st and we doubled our goal, raising $61,000 for the hospital!!
- Served on the Friends of St. Jude DC committee and helped plan Blues Ball 2009, which was another success, raising $45,000!!
- Spent many Saturdays w. the hubs and niece which made for some fun memories
- Week in Duck at the beach w. the fam...love
- Reintroduced myself to the gym, hoping this trend continues in the new year!
- Got a new job, that I LOVE!
2009 didn't bring me a pooch. I've been begging the hubs for almost a year now with no luck. Hopefully this will happen in 2010.
Wishes for 2010:
- FOSJ committee and another successful Blues Ball
- Turn into a gym rat and get healthy
- Learn how to sew (thanks to my mama I will be one step ahead w. my sewing classes that start on Monday!)
- Be more crafty
- Expand my cooking and baking skills
- More auntie/uncle days w. the niece
- Get back to volunteering at the homeless shelter w. the hubs
- Move. South.
- Sell our condo and make a profit (even if its only a little)
- Bake cookies (from scratch) that are e.d.i.b.l.e.
- Be a better Christian (attend church more regularly, join a small group, pray more, read more)
- Be at work everyday by 8:30 (I have quite the relationship w. the snooze button!)
And now since I'm really dreaming...
- Run another 1/2 marathon (this time w. the hubs). Please don't hold me to this, the chances of this happening are beyond slim to none.
We're heading to our favorite ski resort to ring in the new year w. my sister and her fiance for the weekend. How are you ringing in 2010?!?!
Thank you for reading, your comments and friendships. I wish y'all a fabulous and blessed 2010!
Happy New Year!
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
and of course they wouldn't be complete w. out the matching earrings! Just in time for spring, Lilly dresses & Jack Rogers!
And I'm feeling my first, e.v.e.r. giveaway is in order. Stay tuned!
Thursday, December 24, 2009
Wednesday, December 23, 2009
For post-Christmas shopping I normally just show up and shop. But this year I've got my eye on some particular things that must become mine as soon as 1:00:01am strikes on December 26th. Some of these are needs, not just wants, like a Christmas tree skirt. Can you believe I've managed to go 3 entire Christmases without one?!?! Not sure how anyone does that, let alone me. This is all thanks to an oh-so-adorable tree skirt I found 2 years ago at Homegoods that I questioned buying and when I returned to buy it it was gone! Since then, nothings compared!
Here are just some of the things I'm eyeing...
PB Wreath Hanger - been eyeing this for months, $29 isn't even bad but I'm determined to get a steal! So far it's $12.99 w. free shipping. (the best part, I can use it all year long!)
Container Store and Papyrus. Usually I splurge and just buy it now, but this year I'm in competition w. myself to see how low I can go.
Kate Spade holiday thank you cards. I found some adorable navy ones last year that were 75% off!
Some sort of tree skirt but I'm clueless on what color, style, etc.
Cute, but not $99 cute!
$190 price tag.
This however is calling my name, $78 or not. It's the perfect blend of all things me!
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Monday, December 21, 2009
Friday, December 18, 2009
Have a fabulous weekend!
To my good friend Court who's little bundle of joy is "supposed" to make her grand entrance today, you're in my thoughts and prayers! Can't wait to hear the good news!
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
12 ounces peeled and deveined medium shrimp
2 tablespoons pine nuts
1 cup 1% low-fat milk, divided
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves
2. While pasta cooks, heat a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add nuts to pan; cook 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
3. Combine 1/2 cup milk and flour in a large saucepan, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Place pan over medium heat; gradually stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk. Stir in mustard and nutmeg. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 5 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken, stirring constantly. Stir in salt and pepper; cook 1 minute. Add drained pasta mixture, cheese, and chopped basil, tossing gently to combine. Sprinkle with nuts and torn basil.
Fat: 9.7g (sat 3.4g,mono 2.4g,poly 2.5g)
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Monday, December 14, 2009
Stay tuned tomorrow for a very special post!
Saturday, December 12, 2009
Kate is a beautiful and vibrant 5 1/2 year old. In June her mother noticed a tremor in her hand. After a visit to the hospital, a CT scan revealed a brain tumor. She was immediately admitted to the PICU and so began a family battle for Kate's life. Kate is currently being treated at Phoenix Children's Hospital. In the midst of great strife and grief, her parents contemplated what would come for the holidays, if Kate would be home for Christmas, and what it must be like for other families on the oncology unit to be dealing with the same worries. Separation from loved ones at Christmas, siblings separated from each other due to a hospitalization, financial struggles that come with mounting medical bills, and parents' desires to bring their families together to share the holiday. Out of their grief and selflessness grew "Kate's Crazy Cool Christmas." The Mcrae's were determined to give to the other families on the oncology unit. Their hope is to ensure that all children hospitalized on Christmas still have a special Christmas that included gifts, toys, and holiday cheer.
As the Mcrae's and many other families struggle to find hope and joy in a hospital room over Christmas, their request is for others to bring happiness to other sick children by donating toys, gift cards, clothes and craft supplies to make their Christmases special.
Everything sent has to be brand new (for infection control purposes). Please send the gifts unwrapped, so we can sort everything accordingly. Things that can be wiped down or washed are best, not things of cloth that cannot be washed. We will be collecting for kids of all ages. There will be mostly english and spanish speaking families. We are hoping to receive all of the donations by December 15th.
Toys: Hotwheels, barbies, action figures, legos, etc
Games: Videogames, board games, game stations (playstation, WII, game cubes, etc)
Music: Ipods, cd players, cds, headphones, etc
Craft Items: Paints, beading kits, markers, drawing pads, window paints, wood art, etc
Clothing: hats, Pjs, slippers, etc
Personal Care: Nail polish, body lotion, chap stick, etc
Cornerstone Christian Fellowship
Attn: Kate's Crazy Cool Christmas
2211 E Pecos Road, Suite 2
Chandler, AZ 85225
As you're out shopping this weekend for your loved ones, remember the true meaning of Christmas, to give not to receive. Pay it forward by picking up a few things to ship to help make Kate's Crazy Cool Christmas a joyous success for all those innocent, precious kids that aren't as forunate to as you to be home for Christmas. Count your blessings and keep them in your prayers!
Friday, December 11, 2009
White House Black Market
20% off using code 8044
All sweaters are 30% (in store only)
Ends December 13th
$15 off a $30 purchase or $30 off a $75 purchase using code 4493
Ends December 13th
Extra 20% off using promo code "Joy"
Ends December 14th
Swoozie's - if you haven't checked them out do so stat!!
20% off all holiday merchandise + FREE Shipping + Earn $10 holiday dollars for every $50 you spend!
Ends December 14th
20% off using code "ONSAVE20"
Ends December 15th
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
J. Crew Vivi Flat - on sale!
Gap Plaid Ballet Flats - perfect to pair w. a warm chunk sweater and skinny jeans.
Banana's Paris Beaded Flat
Monday, December 7, 2009
-holiday scrapbook paper
Friday, December 4, 2009
If you don't know him, let me introduce you. Bloghers meet Michael. Michael Bublé to be exact. He is one of my favorite singers of all time. I'm really truly a country music girl, I'd say 95% of the time, but Michael has convinced me to give him an exclusive 5% share of my music listening time. I became hooked on Michael when his "It's Time" album debuted. Some of you may remember his popular "Home" song from American Idol cast-off nights. And ever since I've been hooked. His voice is like none other. His latest album came out a couple of months ago and it is equally amazing. "Crazy Love" has earned a permanent home in CD slot #1 in my car. The new album has renditions of some classics like Ray Charles' "Georgia On My Mind" and the title track, Van Morrison's "Crazy Love." This man is simply amazing! If you haven't checked him out do so quick, because you're missing out. Michael's tunes are perfect for a date night w. your lovah or trying to wake up on your drive into work. There's nothing better than starting my day with a serenade from this man. And his beautiful green eyes don't hurt either! (You can listen to his new cd by clicking on the album cover below.) Is anyone else as smitten as I am?
He has a Christmas album too, which is perfect and a classic that you must add to your Christmas collection.
And since it's the weekend I'll kick it off by sharing 25% off at Gap with all of you, through Sunday. Enter promotion code BZKMXN1D9JTB at checkout. (Sale is also good in store, but you must have the coupon.) Be sure to take advantage. I will definintely be taking advantage in between finishing the Christmas decorating, a holiday party and cutting down and our tree!
Thursday, December 3, 2009
I thought I'd share my mama's yummy ever-so delicious, homemade recipe for Baked Mac and Cheese. You can't go wrong with this recipe. I'm a less than novice cook and even I can whip this up sans a disaster.
Mama Willis' Baked Mac & Cheese
2 Tblsp Margarine
2 1/2 Cups Milk
1/4 Cup Flour
1 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Pepper
8 Cups of grated Velveeta Cheese
1 Slice American Cheese
8 Ounces cooked & drained Elbow Macaroni
1/4 cup Ritz Cracker bread crumbs (optional) SO not needed!
1. Cook 8 ounces of elbow macaroni according to the instructions on the box and drain.
2. In a 1-quart sauce pan melt the margarine over low heat.
3. Stir in flour, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth.
4. Remove from heat and gradually stir in milk until smooth, stirring the entire time.
5. Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until thickened.
6. Stir in grated cheese, a little at a time, until melted. (This requires patience, but you'll get an arm workout!)
7. Pour macaroni into casserole dish.
8. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni.
9. Mix well.
10. Top with bread crumbs (if desired).
11. Bake at 375 degrees for 25-40 minutes or until topping is light brown.
12. Put a big heaping spoonful in a bowl and enjoy this hunk of cheesy goodness!!
From my kitchen to yours,
Wednesday, December 2, 2009
And my favorite natural, perfect pink, is Bubble Bath.
On a recent trip into Trade Secret I learned that OPI is now offering "Matte" colors. Have any of you used these or seen them? I tried a few samples in the store, because a lot of the glossy colors are also offered in matte and I hated them. I thought they looked like absolute poo. No offense, to anyone who likes them. Apparently these are all the latest rage, however, I just don't get it. Feel free to enlighten me. Here's a few mattes that OPI has.
This is the matte version of Lincoln Park After Dark! Yick!
Here's an article I found explaining the latest fad of matte polishes.
What are some of your favorite nail colors??